Happy Birthday to Mr. Bubba!

Today is the 7th birthday of my oldest son!

Since I discussed the birth process of his younger brother back in June, I thought I would continue the same tradition. A few things to note as I kickoff this post. Bubba was the first and only of our seven children thus far that we learned of his sex before he was born. It was not intentional. The Wife and I went to the 20 week ultrasound appointment in which the technician indicated that there was some kidney dilation. The technician assured us that it was quite common and would probably work its way out as the pregnancy rolled on. We had asked the technician not to tell us if we were going to have a boy or girl.

Fast forward a week or so…

At the doc’s office, we both attend the appointment. The nurse took The Wife’s vitals but carelessly left the file on the table in the examination room. Marc thought, “Hmm…what kind of stuff is in this file?” Well, lo and behold, the bottom of the first page, at the top of the stack of papers in the file said:


I must’ve uttered a little bitty, “Oops.”

The Wife heard and said, annoyingly and deeply, “What!?”

“Oh, nothing, dear.”

“You know what we’re going to have, don’t you?”

“Uh huh. Do you want to know?”


“It’s a boy!”

“Yay, a boy!” (or something like that)

A few minutes pass and I had closed up the chart. The good doctor comes in and talks a little bit about the kidney dilation. He said something like, “This is nothing to be alarmed about; it is very common in boys….Oops…you didn’t want to know did you?”

“We already knew…Marc cheated by looking at the file.”

So…no surprises on this pregnancy but we kept this data to ourselves.

Fast forward to the day of his birth. It was a Sunday morning and we were just waking up and my brain was its usual fogginess. I hear a little popping sound. Initially, I didn’t think anything of it. The Wife was still groggy as well and heard this noise as well but also initially did not think anything of it. A few moments later, however, she knew that the water had broken. “Call your mom! Call the doctor…we’re coming in!”

Within 30 min or so, The Wife‘s mom arrived and we headed off to the hospital. Labor and delivery wise, everything went according to plan, except that the labor was very brief (relatively speaking, of course!)…only about five hours before he was born. Unfortunately the quick labor did not allow all of the fluid from his lungs to get wrung out, so he retained some of that fluid. That bought him two extra days in the specialty care nursery. The first two days or so were under what I called the “cone of silence” to regulate the oxygen levels. He had a bit of the jaundice for half a day or so but then he was good to go after four days.

He was baptized shortly thereafter in the Old Rite at the Oratory, where all of his subsequent siblings have been baptized. It was the first time I had ever attended it or seen it, other than in The Godfather. (Fortunately, this time, there were no apparent assassination attempts on any local mob bosses) 🙂 The ceremony in the old rite is so rich and magnificent. I was also very proud to name him after our holy father.

Bubba has a great set of godparents for which I am eternally grateful for their prayers and for bringing us into the Latin Mass community here in St. Louis. They also provided me the proper “schooling” in the old Mass so I could make more sense of it early on and then teach my family.

Happy birthday, my boy!

A nearby vista, overlooking the Meramec River



I would like to invite you to leave a reply. Thank you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s